From Nicholas Duane <nic...@msn.com>
Subject RE: unintended usage of the same configuration file
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:47:25 GMT
I would agree that file based logging it core.  I would probably not want my web application
logging to a database, for sure not each log statement.  If there was some buffering in between
which batched the logs and then sent every once in a while to the DB that would seem better,
to me at least.  If I needed the logs in a database I would still probably write to a local
file and then figure a way to get the files to a central location where they could be loaded
into the database.

Thanks,
Nick
To: dpsenner@gmail.com; log4net-user@logging.apache.org
From: piers.williams@gmail.com
Subject: RE: unintended usage of the same configuration file
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:27:44 +0800

Dominic: I’m afraid I don’t agree with any of what you said. File based logging is a critical
part of any instrumentation strategy – it’s way faster than logging to a (typically remote)
database, and gives you somewhere to log the errors when the database is down. That’s assuming
you have a database at all of course – not all web applications even have one (though I’d
concede that’s rare).

It’s true that web applications will typically have limited write access to local disks,
and that’s entirely appropriate, but they always have some write permissions somewhere –
even if it’s only to Temp. Establishing a location with write permissions for logs hardly
entails ‘punching holes in permissions’.

Finally, as best I can tell, none of this is relevant to the OP’s actual issue, which would
be just the same whether he was logging to file or to database, because it’s a configuration
issue.