From Nicholas Duane <nic...@msn.com>
Subject RE: setting or overriding log levels via configuration?
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:34:52 GMT
It seems another way to solve the same problem I was trying to solve is to redefine 'Off'.
 This also worked:

<level>
    <name value="Off"/>
    <value value="40000"
</level>

I still would like to know how to set the display name of a level via configuration, if that's
possible.  It appears it takes the <name> element's 'value' as the display name since
I did define a custom level and saw the name in the log file.  However, I read that a level
has a name and a display name and the display name is used for writing to the log.

Thanks,
Nick

From: nickdu@msn.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: RE: setting or overriding log levels via configuration?
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:30:58 -0400

Was working on this more and decided I would just attempt to add the <level> element
under the <log4net> element and see what happens.  Luckily there is a "debug" attribute
on the <log4net> element which gives you an indication of what log4net is doing so I
also turned that on.  It seems to work not only based on the debug log4net statements I saw
generated, but the test results also confirmed it's working.  Well let me restate that.  What
I added was the following:

<level>
    <name value="Warn"/>
    <value value="2147483647"/>
</level>
<level>
    <name value="Info"/>
    <value value="2147483647"/>
</level>
<level>
    <name value="Error"/>
    <value value="2147483647"/>
</level>

I did this because I wanted to see if I could make it such that Error, Warn and Info logs
could not be turned off.  And it appears this accomplishes that.

I still have a question.  If I want to add a new level is there a way to specify the "display
name" of that level in configuration?

Thanks,
Nick