From Wim Sturkenboom <Wim.Sturkenb...@hambisana.com>
Subject RE: Multiple applications to a log4net remoting server
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:56:37 GMT
Thanks for the reply.

From the description, I’d say no; it does what my current version does. It writes everything
into a single log file; I find that a little messy. I’m in need of something that can keep
the logs separate per application.

WimS

From: Svante Seleborg [mailto:software@axantum.com]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 2:09 PM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: Multiple applications to a log4net remoting server

Hello,

Check out if the following meets your needs: https://log4netremotelogging.codeplex.com/ .

Best regards,

Svante

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Wim Sturkenboom <Wim.Sturkenboom@hambisana.com<mailto:Wim.Sturkenboom@hambisana.com>>
wrote:
Hello all

Let me start saying that I know about nothing about log4net (even after trying to read documentation
and trying to understand examples). So please forgive any incorrect wording. Based on examples,
I’ve managed to let an application write to a remotingserver (sending to / listening on
port 8085) and the remotingserver writes it nicely to a file.

I have modified the remotingserver example to a (windows) service and that also works fine.

Now I’m in need of this one remotingserver application to handle logs from different applications
to different logfiles. The application side of things is not an issue, I think; just use another
port.

But how do I write an application that contains multiple ‘remotingservers’ or one ‘remotingserver’
listening on different ports? Any pointers are at this stage appreciated. A thread for each
port that I want to listen on? If so, how do I ‘tell the thread’ to use a specific configuration?
Or something else.

Current code for remotingserver (in a windows service)

        protected override void OnStart(string[] args)
        {
            // TODO: Add code here to start your service.

            System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String.Format("dsrp_log4net_service", version.getVersion()),
                                          ServiceName + "starting");

            // Log an info level message
            if (log.IsInfoEnabled) log.Info(String.Format("dsrp_log4net_service v{0} started",
version.getVersion()));

            // Configure remoting. This loads the TCP channel as specified in the .config
file.
            RemotingConfiguration.Configure(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile,
false);

            // Publish the remote logging server. This is done using the log4net plugin.
            log4net.LogManager.GetRepository().PluginMap.Add(new log4net.Plugin.RemoteLoggingServerPlugin("LoggingSink"));

            System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String.Format("dsrp_log4net_service", version.getVersion()),
                                          ServiceName + "started");

        }

Thanks in advance for any help. WimS