From Rob Richardson <RDRichard...@rad-con.com>
Subject RE: Two logs have the same appenders
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:36:26 GMT
Thanks very much for your reply and examples.

RobR

From: Ronen Mashal [mailto:rmashal@magicsoftware.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2014 12:29 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: Two logs have the same appenders

Hello Rob,

If you want to write the same messages to two separate files you should do the following:
1) Define two file appenders in the configuration file, each writing to a different file.
2) Create a logger (or specify in the "root" logger) that it uses both file appenders, something
like this:
<logger name="a.b.c.classname">
    <appender-ref ref="filelogger1"/>
    <appender-ref ref="filelogger2"/>
</logger>

Now, if you want to direct different messages to different log files, you would have to define
another logger and use that logger in the code. Here's an example:

<logger name="a.b.c.classname">
     <appender-ref ref="filelogger1"/>
</logger>

<logger name="a.b.c.classname.special">
     <appender-ref ref="filelogger2"/>
</logger>

then in the code:
ILog logger1 = log4net.LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(classname));
ILog logger2 = log4net.LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(classname).FullName + ".sepcial");

Now you'd be able to write different message to different files.

There are other options that involve using filters if you want, for example, to write all
messages to one log but only a subset to another.

Ronen Mashal.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Rob Richardson <RDRichardson@rad-con.com<mailto:RDRichardson@rad-con.com>>