From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4net.dll version 1.2.10.0 (FileSystemWatcher objects)
Date Sat, 25 May 2013 13:27:51 GMT
Hi Yuvraj

On 2013-05-23, Yuvraj Raj wrote:

> From the memory dump, They found >2000 instances of
> log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator+ConfigureAndWatchHandler and the
> FileSystemWatcher objects created that contributed this issue. The
> issue is happening due to the fragmentation of Gen2 Heap. The reason
> for the fragmentation is the pinned System.IO.Overlapped objects used
> by FileSystemWatcher objects.

> When looking at the log4net.dll help from Apache web page, we found
> the below link for log4net that have bug (LOG4NET-158) in version
> 1.2.10.0 saying XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch() leaks resources if
> called multiple times

> The issue was fixed in version 1.2.11.0. Please let us know if above
> memory issue was related to the bug and it has been resolved in the
> next release.

To be honest, we don't know for sure.  Without knowing exactly how the
many instances have been created in your case, it is hard to answer.  If
you had been invoking ConfigureAndWatch multiple times, then yes, this
is likely fixed now.

BTW, 1.2.11 has been released something like 20 months ago, so you may
want to give it a try.

Stefan