From Yuvraj Raj <r...@michaels.com>
Subject RE: log4net.dll version 1.2.10.0 (FileSystemWatcher objects)
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 14:53:12 GMT
Thank you all for the response. I will try testing the newer version 1.2.11.0 and let you know
if find any issues.

Best Regards,
Yuvraj
Work: 972 409 5703 | Support: 972 400 0174 | Cell: 469 438 1396

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:28 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: log4net.dll version 1.2.10.0 (FileSystemWatcher objects)

Hi Yuvraj

On 2013-05-23, Yuvraj Raj wrote:

> From the memory dump, They found >2000 instances of
> log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator+ConfigureAndWatchHandler and the
> FileSystemWatcher objects created that contributed this issue. The
> issue is happening due to the fragmentation of Gen2 Heap. The reason
> for the fragmentation is the pinned System.IO.Overlapped objects used
> by FileSystemWatcher objects.

> When looking at the log4net.dll help from Apache web page, we found
> the below link for log4net that have bug (LOG4NET-158) in version
> 1.2.10.0 saying XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch() leaks resources if
> called multiple times

> The issue was fixed in version 1.2.11.0. Please let us know if above
> memory issue was related to the bug and it has been resolved in the
> next release.

To be honest, we don't know for sure.  Without knowing exactly how the many instances have
been created in your case, it is hard to answer.  If you had been invoking ConfigureAndWatch
multiple times, then yes, this is likely fixed now.

BTW, 1.2.11 has been released something like 20 months ago, so you may want to give it a try.

Stefan

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs. For more information
please visit http://www-935.ibm.com/services/us/index.wss/offerfamily/iss/a1026954