From "Martin Milan" <Martin.Mi...@enservegroup.com>
Subject RE: Log4Net for Windows 2008 64bit machine
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:16:15 GMT
Vanitha - and when I said GAC, I of course meant the Framework CLR
libraries. Anything you / third party have put in the GAC and referred
to from your app would still have to be recompiled, but the Framework
classes themselves will be fine.

From: Martin Milan [mailto:Martin.Milan@enservegroup.com]
Sent: 22 March 2012 16:11
To: Log4NET User
Subject: RE: Log4Net for Windows 2008 64bit machine

Vanitha,

I am not part of the log4net team, and the following are my own view,
and not necessarily those of my employer.

Basically, all of the DLLs in your application must be of the same
architecture - either all 32bit, or all 64 bit. You can't have so many
in one and so many in the other.

So long as you keep to that, you shouldn't have too much difficulty. The
reason you can use the 32bit Dlls on your 64 bit machine comes down to
something known as Windows on Windows - basically it emulates a 32bit
environment for your app and on you go. You don't have to do anything -
so long as all your dlls are 32 bit, it will just work.

If you want to move to 64bit, you'll need to compile all of your Dlls -
that's your app and anything it references (including log4net, excluding
GAC) will need to be recompiled as 64 bit assemblies.

I would question why you want to do this - by doing it you will prevent
your application from being able to be deployed in 32 bit environments.
By staying with 32bit you can deploy to both 32 and 64bit environments.
By moving to 64 bit you will lose that, so I would want a reason to make
that transition - and a better one than "it just sounds better..."

Cheers,

Martin.