From "Herrmann, David G" <david.g.herrm...@intel.com>
Subject log4net advice
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:03:50 GMT
To: Someone more knowledgeable in log4net than myself.

I have just downloaded the 1.2.11 version of log4net. I am learning how to use it and can
get basic logging done in my application. However, I have a need for something that I'm not
sure how to do if it is possible at all.

I need to be able to log to different log files within the same application where I don't
know the log file names in advance so I cannot create the necessary appenders in my app.config
file before hand. I will only know the log file name at run time. Is there a way I can do
this? Can I use one appender that is defined in my app.config file but substitute a different
file name at run time somehow? Or is there a way to set up my logger using just the log4net
API?

I see that log4net comes with an extensive API but if this is possible I don't see it in the
API. If I can specify log file names at run time, how would I do that?

Thank you very much for any advice on this.

-Dave Herrmann