From "Roy Chastain" <...@roychastain.org>
Subject RE: Did the exception format change from XML -> string in 1.2.11?
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:55:42 GMT
Looks like generic classes to me.
What "sproc" are you referring to?

Roy Chastain

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd [mailto:todd_beaulieu@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 14:13
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Did the exception format change from XML -> string in 1.2.11?

Hello,

I've been using log4net for a few years now. I wrapped it my own library
and forgot all about the internals until now ...

I grabbed the latest version and now I can't log any exceptions,
APPARENTLY because the format changed. My sproc expects the xml payload,
but I now seem to be getting a formatted string. The stacktrace in the
string can contain "<>", which causes the call to the sproc to fail.
(it's expecting xml data, but only sees xml brackets inside)

An example of a logged exception using 1.2.10:

<System.NullReferenceException>
  <Message>Object reference not set to an in
  <StackTrace>
    <Frame>MyCompany.Web.CMS.ContentReposito ...
    <Frame>MyCompany.Web.CMS.Repository.Fron ...
    <Frame>MyCompany.Web.CMS.ContentReposito ...
    <Frame>MyCompany.Web.Corporate.Services. ...
  </StackTrace>
  <Data>
    <hostAddress>66.249.67.244</hostAddress>
  </Data>
</System.NullReferenceException>

An example of what log4net is trying to pass in with 1.2.11:

at MyCompany.Web.Corporate.Controllers.
C:\dev\IQ\Tfs2010\ExternalWeb\Corporate ...
at lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBa ...
at System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatche ...
at
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeAction
MethodWithFilters>b__12()
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvok ...
at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvok ...

Can anyone help me wrap my brain around why this is happening and a
possible solution?

Thank you.