From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Logging events generated in other timezones
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:55:33 GMT
Could you pass time zone information as a property of the logging event so the server knows
how to convert the time back to utc?

Looks like only RollingFileAppender has a settable DateTimeStrategy (local or utc).

________________________________
From: SEGERS Steven (CNH) <steven.segers@cnh.com>
To: "log4net-user@logging.apache.org" <log4net-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:05 AM
Subject: Logging events generated in other timezones

Hello

Our client-app send logging-events to our server using the RemotingAppender. The server then
logs the events in the database using the adonet appender. We use the RawUtcTimeStampLayout
to log the message timestamp. It appears that all timestamps are interpreted as if they are
local server timestamps.
The FAQ (http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/faq.html#distributed) seems to suggest
that the RemotingAppender sends all timestamps to the server in utc format, but this does
not seem to work for us. When I look at the code, I see that the timestamp of the logging
event is created using DateTime.Now (so without any timezone info), and I cannot find anything
in the RemotingAppender that does any conversion of this timestamp. Am I missing something
obvious or is the claim in the FAQ not correct?

Best regards

Steven