From "Corder, Sam" <sam.cor...@westernsouthernlife.com>
Subject Log4Net losing renderer information on web app restart
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:18:59 GMT
Hi, I posted this question on stack overflow but haven't gotten any
answers.  You can see the question here.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7045316/log4net-stops-using-custom-re
nderers

I have a WCF application for which I have created some custom renderers
so that I can keep my log statements as DRY as possible. When I first
deploy my app log4net doesn't recognize the custom renderers but it does
do everything else correctly. If I touch the config file it (make it
looked changed) the file watcher picks up the change and the renderers
start working. However after a time they stop working again and I have
to touch the log4net config file again.

The setup is a .Net 3.5 (sp1) wcf application. The problem occurs in
both the vs 2008 development web server and on IIS 7 on win 2008. I have
a config file called log4net.config and I'm using the AssemblyInfo
method for point at it.

[assembly: log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFile = "log4net.config",
Watch = true)]

The way I access a logger is through the use of static members on the
class like so.

private static readonly ILog log =
LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(Service));

The renderers are configured similar to this.

<renderer renderingClass="MyCompany.Log4net.SearchRequestRenderer,
MyCompany.Log4net"
renderedClass="System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.SearchRequest" />

These renderers are all in a separate assembly from the main where the
logging is taking place.  I should mention that all other bits of the
log file are being read correctly and are working fine. Am I missing
something or doing something wrong? I don't know why it doesn't
recognize the renderers right away and then forgets them again later.