From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compiling log4net with strong name and 3rd party dependencies (also is log4net in a cul-du-sac)
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 03:34:29 GMT
I wrote this message last night in response to the is log4net in a cul-du-sac thread, but it
got bounced due to a spam guard which I've hopefully satisfied this time.   The strong naming
key that has been used to sign log4net releases has been encrypted and can be decrypted using
the private keys of several people including myself. I'd be happy to perform the release build
or reencrypt the strong signing key to another PMC member who wants to help. However, to get
to that point, it will take people who are motivated to pitch in and get things ready for
release. Further discussion should be on log4net-dev.

My message from last night:

I'm not sure if this message got an adequate answer.

For those who want to drive a release forward, I would suggest:

Create a bug report for the next release (check if there is already one)

Make that bug dependent on any issue that you think needs to be resolved before the next release

If there are any debatable issues (like dropping support for earlier .NET versions), start
a vote on the mailing list. If there are interrelated issues, perhaps create a page on the
logging wiki and have a vote on all the issues in the same time.

If there are bugs without test cases or patches, create test cases and patches.

If there are bugs with test case and patches that should be committed, make a comment on the
bug that it appears ready to go.

Hopefully through this process, we can develop the track record that will allow adding some
new committers or PMC members.

On Aug 8, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Jim Scott wrote:

> [...]
for a very long time, I tried to compile it myself. I created a key and have successfully
compiled it with no problems. However, I have quite a few 3rd party dependencies that themselves
are dependent on log4net. These dependencies can't find load the new assembly that I have
created because they require that it is signed with a key that I dont have access to. So this
means that I can't use my own version of log4net without recompiling all my dependencies.

> Do you have any suggestions to how I can solve this?
>
> Regards,
> /Johannes
>

> Yes, this is the same issue we have. I have a few features I would like to add but the
thought of having to recompile everything has kept me from doing so.