From "Venkatasamy, Vanitha" <Vanitha.Venkatas...@xpandcorp.com>
Subject How to do configuration in assembly.cs file for log4net implementation?
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:04:27 GMT
HI,
I am trying to implement the log4net. In my project ,i am referring a dll project,which has
the log4net implementation and i am calling the dll from from my asp number.

  The call is successful from asp to dll method and the logger is created just fine.

    private static readonly ILog log = LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(ErrorLogging).Name);

But the problem is the logger is not enabled. I mean IsErrorEnabled/IsDebugEnabled are false.

The confusing part to me is assembly.cs,in which the place where we mention the

    [assembly: log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFileExtension = "log4net", Watch = true)]
    // This will cause log4net to look for a configuration file
    // called TestApp.exe.log4net in the application base
    // directory (i.e. the directory containing TestApp.exe)
    // The config file will be watched for changes.

So ,do i need to create a file with .log4net extension ,if so i tried and its not working.
And not working from my web.config also.

Please see my web.config code

    <log4net debug="true">
    <appender name="EventLogAppender" type="log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender">
      <param name="LogName" value="PortalWebLog" />
      <param name="ApplicationName" value="Portal" />
      <eventId value="6" />
      <eventCategory value="10" />
        <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger [%property{NDC}] - %message%newline"
/>
      </layout>
    </appender>
    <root>
      <priority value="DEBUG" />

      <appender-ref ref="EventLogAppender" />
    </root>
  </log4net>

    <configSections>
    <section name="log4net" type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler, log4net"/>

And the dll method ,where i am accesing the log

    log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();
            log4net.ThreadContext.Properties["EventID"] = 6;

            String tempdata=string.Empty;

            if (!System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(sourceName))
            {
                tempdata = sourceName + logName + objErr + strBotListPath;
                System.Diagnostics.EventLog.CreateEventSource(sourceName, logName);
            }
            else
            {
                if (log.IsDebugEnabled)
                {
                    log.Debug("This is a DEBUG level message. The most VERBOSE level.");
                    log.Info("Extended information, with higher importance than the Debug
call");
                    log.Warn("An unexpected but recoverable situation occurred");
                    tempdata = "Source already exits";
                }
                else
                {
                    tempdata = "Source already exits,but debug not enabled";
                }
            }

After removing the below line

   [assembly: log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFileExtension = "log4net", Watch = true)],

and by placing the log4net.config in C:\windows\system32\inetsrv,the error log is enabled
and changing the line,
     log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(new FileInfo(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ApplicationBase+"log4net.config"));

The IsDebugEnabled is true but  i am not seeing any errors in the eventLog and its empty

DEV Environment :Windows 2003 ,log4net for .Net framework2.0 [1.2.10.0]

Thanks,
Vanitha Venkatasamy
XPAND Corporation.
[cid:image001.jpg@01CC5CC5.0C41E6E0]

This message contains Devin Group confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error and
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed secure, error-free
and information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, incomplete,
or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for errors or omissions
in the contents of this message which may arise as result of transmission. If verification
is required please request hard-copy version.