From "Lansdaal, Michael T" <michael.t.lansd...@boeing.com>
Subject RE: Too many log files
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 16:09:17 GMT
Thanks for posting that (I don't follow the mailing list too closely and missed it).  I like
the current implementation if your patch that has MaxDateRollBackups of 4 keeping

foo.2010-06-17.log
foo.2010-06-16.log
foo.2010-06-15.log
foo.2010-06-15.1.log
foo.2010-06-15.2.log
foo.2010-06-14.log

I guess the question would be - are the developers interested in folding this into the main
branch or are we stuck with making our own patched version?

Thanks, Mike

From: Michael Schall [mailto:mike.schall@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:57 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: Too many log files

I worked on a solution to this that we are using in production...  I posted it on the list
without much response...  You are welcome to try this...

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.logging.log4net.devel/885/match=rolling+files+date+time+boundaries+doesn't+support+maximum+number+backup
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Rob Richardson <Rob.Richardson@rad-con.com<mailto:Rob.Richardson@rad-con.com>>
wrote:
Thanks for your reply!  I quote a reply to that thread below:

I suspect the difficulties deleting files rolled only by date is that
the appender would need to take into account the DatePattern used when
locating files to be considered for deleting. Counted backups
(log.txt.1, log.txt.2, log.txt.3, etc.) are easier to deal with because
integer sequences are more well-known.

I'm not aware of any efforts to support rolling of files based on
RollingMode.Date.

I would be happy with counted backups, as mentioned in that reply.  How do I set my rolling
file appender to do that?

Thanks again!

RobR