From "Martin Fetzel" <martin.fet...@gmx.net>
Subject AW: log4net serializable?
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:33:00 GMT
I tried to replace the ILOG object with the string as you have suggested.

The next step is to tell the plugin to use the same config file as the host, because I want
that the plugin is writing the logs into the same source as the host. Getting the logger and
using the same config works. But when im logging something in the plugin, the plugin logger
says that an other process is using the log file (cause of the different appdomains).

At the moment the config file of the logger is using the fileappender.

So how i'm getting the host and the plugin writing in the same file / database / eventlogger?
How is this possible?

If it would possible to hand through the Ilog object from the host to the plugin this would
be no problem.

Greetings

martin

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Martin Fetzel [mailto:martin.fetzel@gmx.net]
Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Dezember 2010 13:21
An: Log4NET User
Betreff: Re: log4net serializable?

thanks for the suggested solution. I'ill check this out.

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 23:10 -0600, Curt Arnold wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Martin Fetzel wrote:
>
> > Yes it seems that i have to serialize the logger itself. The problem
> > is that the new pluginmanager is using appdomains and the Ilog
> > object should be serializeable. When in the Appdomain an instance of
> > the plugin will be created an exception will be thrown.
>

> LoggingEvent's are serializable, but serializing loggers isn't either practical or desirable.
 If it were so, you'd be in essence storing the state of the entire hierarchy of loggers,
appenders and such since only if you had the entire graph of objects would you really capture
the state of a logger and then you'd need to be able to reestablish any open files, sockets,
etc to get everything to an functionally equivalent state.

> So, it appears that you have a serializable class that has a ILog instance member.  Your
solution is to replace the ILog member with a static member or with something serializable
(string for example) that can be used to reacquire the logger after deserialization.  If static
isn't appropriate, the next simplest approach would be replace the ILog with a string containing
the logger name and to call GetLogger() on demand to get a logger.