From "Radovan Raszka" <ras...@hasam.cz>
Subject RE: how often to call XmlConfigurator.Configure
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:20:27 GMT
Log4net system should be configured only once int the "starting"  class of your application
(first class used in the application) or any other class but before first logging attempt..
If you configure more times, only the last configuration is used.
But you can use log4net in way that every class uses its own appender.
RR

-----Původní zpráva-----
Od: T Dog [mailto:acedog032000@yahoo.com]
Odesláno: 2. září 2010 19:16
Komu: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Předmět: how often to call XmlConfigurator.Configure

I have a simple C# .net 2.0 program where a console application calls into a Caller class
which then calls into a Callee class.  I want to have separate log4net configurations for
the console application, for the Caller dll, and for the Callee dll.  Each of the 3 should
write to its own rolling log file appender.   I call XmlConfigurator.Configure in the constructor
of the Caller, the Callee, and in the Main method of the console application.  It ends up
that the console application starts writing to its own log file, but then ends up writing
into the innermost, the Callee's, log file.  I can get the console application to write back
to its own log file if I call XmlConfigurator.Configure again before I want to write to the
console app's log file.  Is that necessary or did I configure this incorrectly?  I want
to be able to have varying levels of log4net capability and verbosity at each of the 3 levels.

Here's the guts of the console application:

                log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure(new System.IO.FileInfo(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location
+ ".config"));

                string message = "message from main generated at : " + DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString();
                _log.Error("error" + message);
                _log.Warn("warn" + message);
                _log.Info("info" + message);
                _log.Debug("debug" + message);

                Caller caller = new Caller();
                caller.MethodOne();

                // if the following line is commented out, then the output goes into
the Callee's log file (which was the last class to call XmlConfigurator.Configure), not into
the console application's log file
                log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure(new System.IO.FileInfo(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location
+ ".config"));
                message = "message from main generated at : " + DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString();
                _log.Error("error" + message);
                _log.Warn("warn" + message);
                _log.Info("info" + message);
                _log.Debug("debug" + message);