From "Gagne, Chris" <cga...@ivey.uwo.ca>
Subject Custom Properties in an ASP.Net Web Application
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:03:29 GMT
Here's our situation...

We're adding debug messages to an ASP.Net web application that allows our users to apply for
a job online.  We have a custom properties and database fields created named JobPostingId
and MemberId.  Here's a small code snippet of our logging.

ILog logger = LogManager.GetLogger(CONST_JOBPOSTINGS);

if (logger.IsDebugEnabled)
{
                log4net.ThreadContext.Properties[CONST_JOBPOSTINGID] = JobPostingId;
log4net.ThreadContext.Properties[CONST_MEMBERID] = MemberId;
                logger.Debug(message);
}

We've noticed very inconsistent values for our custom properties.  I suspect it has something
to do with the context belonging to a thread and that same thread being reused by different
web requests, therefore different users.

Does anyone have suggestions for me on how I can capture user specific data into custom properties?
 Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.