From Loren Keagle <Lo...@aps-technology.com>
Subject Re: Possible to test log4net filters on certain logevent?
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:06:37 GMT
I think you can get halfway to your goal just by using the suggestions
in the FAQ.  If you only care to check the log level of your logger
instance, and not the filter chains in the individual appenders, you can
use the helper methods on the ILog interface.

if (logger.IsDebugEnabled)
{
     string s = customObject.Serialize();
     logger.Debug("Custom serialized object: " + s);
}

Change the signature appropriately for Info, Error, Warn, or Fatal logging.

If you do need to check if the logging would get past filters on the
individual appenders, you'll have to download the source code and simply
add the log4net project to your solution so you can edit the source.  We
do this in order to support custom logging levels lower than the Debug
level.  You could easily add a helper method to the ILog interface to
check if an event would make it past all of the filters on all of the
appenders.  In the LogImpl class, create an implementation that iterates
through all of the IAppenders and calls the FilterEvent method.

However, since your custom object has not yet been serialized, filters
that actually analyze the content of the log message would obviously not
trigger!  Hopefully the first solution will be all you need.

~Loren Keagle