From Ross Hinkley <rosshink...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log in more than 1 log destination for different assemblies.
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 13:32:36 GMT
It's possible, sure.  If you're talking about having separate executables
log to the same logfile, in their application configurations, use the same
filename and path.

One thing I can't recall off the top of my head, though, is how log4net
deals with file locks.  Someone out there, please correct me if I'm wrong,
but if you log two messages to the same file at nearly the same time, won't
they be buffered?  (If memory serves, you can fiddle with the buffer size
using the "bufferSize" element.)  I believe if you're using a FileAppender
you can specify what kind of locking you want to do, like:

<lockingModel type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender+MinimalLock" />

That should prevent write lock exceptions.

Alternatively, I would humbly recommend you take a look at logging to a
database instead.  It sounds like you want a central log, and you would gain
a little more flexibility that way.

-Ross