From John Fairhall <john.fairh...@quest.com>
Subject RE: timstamped logs
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 06:57:14 GMT

No, none are. I've been playing around with the logging and it appears that log2net creates
the timestamped log files from non-timestamped log files when the app goes to create a new
log file and the most recent non-timestamped log file was last modified previous to today.

________________________________
From: Karim Bourouba [mailto:karym6@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 30 September 2009 4:50 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: RE: timstamped logs

Hi John,

are the file sizes of the log files you are generating larger than 5mb at all?

________________________________
From: john.fairhall@quest.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:05:03 -0700
Subject: timstamped logs
I have an app using log4net with logging set as follows:

<log4net>
    <appender name="RollingFile" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
        <file value="..\log\OOPCollector.log" />
        <appendToFile value="false" />
        <maximumFileSize value="5MB" />
        <maxSizeRollBackups value="5" />
                        <lockingModel type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender+MinimalLock"
/>

            <conversionPattern value="%date %5level [%thread] %logger - %message%newline"
/>
        </layout>
    </appender>
</log4net>

The app generally generates these logs;
OOPCollector.log
OOPCollector.log.1
OOPCollector.log.2
OOPCollector.log.3
OOPCollector.log.4
OOPCollector.log.5

But sometimes we see logs with a timestamp, such as

OOPCollector.log.2009-09-18
OOPCollector.log.2009-09-18.1
OOPCollector.log.2009-09-18.2
OOPCollector.log.2009-09-18.3
OOPCollector.log.2009-09-18.4
OOPCollector.log.2009-09-18.5

Under what circumstances are these timestamped logs being created?

Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live. Find out more.<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665375/direct/01/>