From Ross Hinkley <rosshink...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: App.Config Location
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:53:37 GMT
Raghuram,

For your time zone question, I'm guessing you want the time zone name?  You
have a few options: use the %property{} feature of log4net and set the time
zone in code, use %utcdate, or use 'z' in the date formatter (this will only
give you the +/- hours ahead/behind GMT, not the time zone name).

Those are just off the top of my head.  Does someone else know if you can
log the time zone some other way?

If you're concerned about cross-timezone processes, especially ones logging
to the same place (like a database), I'd recommend you log using the UTC
date.  It's much easier to read through logs if the times are consistent
with one another.

>From your diagram, I'm still not seeing the benefit of using your own
framework.  Log4Net will log to a file natively.  What sort of requirements
do you have that make you believe you'll need your own framework or class?

If handling log data yourself is something you want to pursue, I'd recommend
looking into creating your own appender.

-Ross