From Karim Bourouba <kar...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Defer file creation
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:57:24 GMT

Hi Wolfgang,

have you considered look at the common logging infrastructure at all? It can work with Log4Net
and could be quite useful for you.

BR

-

Karim

From: wolfgang@wollinet.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: RE: Defer file creation
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:35:48 +0200

Hi Ross, all

some more details about my setup:

-          WinForm application
-          Use of Windows Workflow Foundation for customer specific jobs

We use log4net for “normal” application logging. Now I need a solution for generating
protocols for the jobs (workflows), meaning, which action were made, errors, and so on. These
jobs run maybe once a week, a month or so. Each job should get its own protocol file. My decision
for using log4net for that, too, was primarily based on the flexibility log4net offers for
defining what gets logged and where. I can activate tracing for these jobs on the fly and
I can switch to a different appender and write everything to the database. Currently there
is no real process in “analyzing” the protocols. The customers simply want them and sometimes
we need them for debugging.

I’m fine with using my “own” appender, I was just looking if I missed some small configuration
value or something like that.

Thx to all for the suggestions and quick responses,
Wolfgang