From "Christian Chenier" <cchen...@uottawa.ca>
Subject relative path for config file
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:15:57 GMT
Hi,

I use log4net in a C# web application and am having problems configuring
it to use a relative path to point to the location of a configuration
file external to web.config.

In web.config, if I use

      <add key="log4net.Config.File" value="C:\somePath\log4net.config"
/>

all works fine. However, I would like to avoid having to hard-code the
physical path and would like to specify something like

      <add key="log4net.Config.File" value="configs\log4net.config" />

where the configs directory is located in the same directory as
web.config (the AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory). However this
does not work (I no longer get anything output to my log file when I
make that change).

I understand that one can programmatically construct a full path from
the base directory, but there is surely a way to specify a relative path
directly in the web.config file? I have tried modifying the string using
leading slash (and backslash), etc. to no avail, and could not find a
solution anywhere. Does anyone know how to do this?

(As an aside, using a relative path to specify the output file name
within the <appender> works fine, relative to the base directory.)

Thanks,

Chris Chenier