From AdamTappis <adamtap...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding custom logging properties
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:59:53 GMT

OK,

So far I've created the following 2 very simple classes which appear to give
me what I need:

    class EventPropertiesXMLLayout : XmlLayoutBase
    {
        protected override void FormatXml(XmlWriter writer, LoggingEvent
loggingEvent)
        {
            LogMessage lm = loggingEvent.MessageObject as LogMessage;
            if (lm != null)
            {
                writer.WriteStartElement("LogEntry");
                writer.WriteStartElement("Message");
                writer.WriteValue(lm.Message);
                writer.WriteEndElement();
                writer.WriteStartElement("Properties");
                foreach (DictionaryEntry de in lm.Properties)
                {
                    writer.WriteStartElement(de.Key.ToString());
                    writer.WriteValue(de.Value.ToString());
                    writer.WriteEndElement();
                }
                writer.WriteEndElement();
                writer.WriteEndElement();
            }
        }
    }

    class LogMessage
    {
        private string _message;
        private Hashtable _properties;

        public LogMessage(string message)
        {
            _message = message;
            _properties = new Hashtable();
        }

        public string Message
        {
            get
            {
                return _message;
            }
        }

        public Hashtable Properties
        {
            get
            {
                return _properties;
            }
        }
    }

And then write the following code if I have to collect custom properties:

            LogMessage lm = new LogMessage("This is a custom log message");
            lm.Properties.Add("prop1", "value1");
            lm.Properties.Add("prop2", "value2");
            log.Info(lm);

Can you see any immediate issues or limitations with this approach?