From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How do I use dynamic boolean values on RollingFileAppender
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 04:50:19 GMT
This had me stumped for a while. My initial thought was to subclass FileAppender or RollingFileAppender
and override ActivateOptions. You can't do that because the error happens during the XML configuration
processing. What you need to do is write a PatternString to Boolean adapter for the XML processor:

public class PatternStringToBooleanAdapter : IConvertTo
{
    public string ConversionPattern { get; set; }

    public bool CanConvertTo(Type targetType)
    {
        return targetType == typeof(bool);
    }

    public object ConvertTo(object source, Type targetType)
    {
        var patternStringToBooleanAdapter = (PatternStringToBooleanAdapter)source;

        var patternString = new PatternString(patternStringToBooleanAdapter.ConversionPattern);

        string value = patternString.Format();

        return OptionConverter.ToBoolean(value, false);
    }
}

Register it before you process the xml file:

ConverterRegistry.AddConverter(typeof(PatternStringToBooleanAdapter), new PatternStringToBooleanAdapter());
GlobalContext.Properties["AppendToFile"] = true;
log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();

Then tell the XML processor that you want to intercept the normal property setting with your
adapter:

<appender name="FileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender">
  <file value="log.txt" />
  <appendToFile type="ConsoleApplication1.PatternStringToBooleanAdapter, ConsoleApplication1">
    <conversionPattern value="%property{AppendToFile}" />
  </appendToFile>
  <layout type="log4net.Layout.SimpleLayout" />
</appender>