From "Eric Rose (erose)" <er...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Change the log level programmatically?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:11:12 GMT
Thanks Nick,

I'm not going to hack the log4net code, so that's not really an option.
I'm asking about this, because one of the developers had asked if there
was a way to do this.

But, it sounds like it's not really possible, unless we want to modify
the config file...

So, thanks for the information!

-esr

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Durcholz [mailto:NDURCHO@e-farmcredit.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:01 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: RE: Change the log level programmatically?

There isn't a clean way to do this with the interfaces provided.  If you
really MUST have this, you could probably hack something up, but it
would require breaking some of the abstractions that the framework tries
to enforce.  You could also try loading the config xml into memory,
modifying it using the dom, and then reconfiguring the entire heirarchy
using log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure(ILoggerRepository
repository, XmlElement element).  I've never tried this, so can't really
say what pitfalls and 'gotchas' come along with doing that.

Why do you need to change the level of a logger at runtime in the first
place?  There may be a better way to accomplish the task at hand without
doing that.