From <maximilian.stoer...@capgemini-sdm.com>
Subject How to add extra information to log entries transparently?
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:56:37 GMT
Hello everybody,

I have an application with a vast number of existing log statements. Now we have the new requirement
to prefix each log entry depending on some user input (i.e. no static text).

An example: In the application, there is a statement
    log.debug('foo')
and we expect a log entry like
    abcdef: foo
where abcdef is a hash we generate on the fly.

Unfortunately I did not use a wrapper class, and obviously I don't want to modify all log
statements.
Is there a way to add a custom Filter or Layout to Log4Net in order to achieve this task?
How can this be done?
I also thought about using an object renderer, but seemingly for strings the renderers are
bypassed, making them unusable for the task at hand.

Thanks for any hints!

Best regards,
    Max