From "Reineri, Jim" <jrein...@prenova.com>
Subject RE: when to use strong name confusion
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:05:34 GMT
This is exactly right.  The only downside of deploying unsigned log4net with each application
is that you would end up with a copy of the dll in each deployed application.  At < 300k
that is a very small downside in most situations.

Jim

From: Walden H. Leverich [mailto:WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:51 AM
To: Log4NET User; hdjim69@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: when to use strong name confusion

> just want to be able to go into each project and add a reference to the log4net.dll and
that should do it.
>No GAC just a reference in each project to the log4net.dll.

Correct. _IF_ you used the signed version (or signed a build yourself) you could drop it in
the GAC and then you wouldn't need a copy in each deployment directory (you'd still need a
reference) but we've found the GAC closer to DLL-hell then not. It's simple enough to drop
a copy of log4net.dll in the deployment directory and away you go. Plus, if you were to use
a strongly named version then every time you rebuilt it you would have to adjust your references
as the full version # is included in the strong name. Not the end of the world for log4net.dll,
but there are updates.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III