From "Jeegnesh Sheth" <jsh...@src-solutions.com>
Subject RE: Log4net in a windows service
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:21:28 GMT
Radovan,

 Can you explain:

I prefer configure log4net using app.config file or by special xml file,
whose location can be got using service's EXE location
(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location)

In my test app, which had an APP.config, when I called my logging DLL,
the right appender would get called I assumed by the attribute

[Assembly:
log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFile:="mywindowsservice.dll.config"
, Watch:=True)]

If I use a special file, and I get the the Assembly executing path, how
would I pass this information down to log4net dll, so that the right
appender is called.

From: Radovan Raszka [mailto:raszka@hasam.cz]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 10:19 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: RE: Log4net in a windows service

Hello,

problem is usually caused by wrong config file location. If you run
windows service, then service's current directory is
%systemroot%\system32, not directory, where service's EXE is located on
the harddisk. Because your config file is referenced by relative path,
it can be searched in wrong location.

I prefer configure log4net using app.config file or by special xml file,
whose location can be got using service's EXE location
(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location)

Radovan Raszka