From hdjim69 <hdji...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: when to use strong name confusion
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:04:23 GMT
Yes, this is for internal use.  We are not a vendor. However we have several projects in the
solution (VS2005) that need to log (client.exe, client.dll, server.dll, etc.).  I just want
to be able to go into each project and add a reference to the log4net.dll and that should
do it.  No GAC just a reference in each project to the log4net.dll.

Is this the correct way to set up referencing this .dll?

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Walden H. Leverich <WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com> wrote:

From: Walden H. Leverich <WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com>
Subject: RE: when to use strong name confusion
To: "Log4NET User" <log4net-user@logging.apache.org>, hdjim69@yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 9:45 AM

Is this for _internal_ use? IOW, you're not a ISV getting ready to distribute software, right?
In that case, just ignore strong names completely. Use the DLL as it, and don't worry about
sn.exe or signing at all. Except in rare cases (and you'll know when you get there) there
is no point in using strongly named assemblies internally.

If you're an ISV, then consider it, but then you'll have to understand strong names for your
own stuff and the log4net stuff will seem obvious.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software