From hdjim69 <hdji...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: when to use strong name confusion AND Add Reference confusion
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:32:22 GMT
Great!  Now comes the question, what about project reference vs. file reference? MSDN recommends
using project references whenever possible and only use file references when necessary.

I haven’t been using .Net that long and I’m still a little fuzzy on all the setup choices.
We’re on VS2005 using Team Suite.  The source is on a dev server and we download local
copies to develop.  When done, we diff, the check into the server. Then Q&A does a build.

I’m in charge of requirements gathering and setup for Log4Net.  So, I should add a new
project to our solution and add the Log4Net code and set a reference to this project from
all the other projects in the solution that we need to use Log4net to log. Then do a build,
and save my solution and check in the new project.  When my co-workers “get latest” it
should pull down the new project and all the existing projects should now have a reference
to the Log4Net dll that was built.

If so, I really don’t need the .dll that came with the Log4Net download since I’m going
to rebuild it anyway when I add the project and build it.  Is this the way to do this?

TIA