From Sriram Ranganathan <sriram.ra...@gmail.com>
Subject Using log4Net from my web service (.net 2.0, C#); nothing happens
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:22:16 GMT

My web service is using C# and .Net 2.0

When a "handled" exception is thrown during the web service call, the
service should return normally but should log some information so some admin
chappie can look at it later.

So I thought of usnig log4net but don't know how to. After checking on the
net, it seemed easy enough:

1: This is In my web.config file of the web service:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<section name="log4net"
type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler,log4net"/>

</configSections>

<log4net>

<appender name="RollingFile" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">

<file value="chuckchuck.log" />

<appendToFile value="true" />

<maximumFileSize value="100KB" />

<maxSizeRollBackups value="2" />

<conversionPattern value="%level %thread %logger - %message%newline" />

</layout>

</appender>

<root>

<level value="DEBUG" />

<appender-ref ref="RollingFile" />

</root>

</log4net>

<appSettings/>

<connectionStrings/>

<system.web>

<compilation debug="true"/>

<authentication mode="Windows"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

2. This is in the class where I have to do the logging:

 using System;

using log4net;

using log4net.Config;

public class CalculationNotPossibleException : Exception

{

protected static readonly ILog log =
LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(CalculationNotPossibleException));

public CalculationNotPossibleException()

{

}

private String userMessage;

public String UserMessage

{

get { return userMessage; }

set { userMessage = value; }

}

public void logInput(CalculationInput p_calculationInput)

{

log.Debug("Sriram says DEBUG - this text will be in log file");

log.Info("Sriram says INFO - this text will be in log file");

}

}

3. When my web service is invoked, I know for a fact that the above code
(log.debug .....) is executed. I know the code control comes there, so I
expect there to be a log file called chuckchuck.log created and the above
lines to be printed into that file.

But that doesn't happen.

I don't get any errors (even in eventviewer) from log4net but there is no
log file called chuckchuck.log in my entire system ... I did a search for
all files with this name.

Some people might say I have to create an appender in the log4j section of
the web.config file for the name "CalculationNotPossibleException" which is
my class name that is doing the logging. But the way I see it, the root is
supposed to handle it all, so it oughta work.

 In my application, this is the only place I have to log anything. So there
is no other related code anywhere at all.

So what am I missing?

Request - for those people givnig ideas, if you are saying "put the log4j
thingies in a separate config file" etc .... any comments like this ...
please tell me details such as where (location) I am supposed to save the
new config file and how my web service is supposed to pick up the location
of this config file ... etc etc. I.e. - please give precise comments with as
much detail as possible .... I would really appreciate it.

Wherever possible, please give me the code to do whatever I am missing,
whether it be in my C# file or in my web.config or any other config u might
ask me to make.

Thanks and much appreciation,

Sriram Ranganathan