From "Iyer, Devan" <devan.i...@sap.com>
Subject RE: RollingFileAppender generates unexpected filename and/or causes IIS to hang
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:09:37 GMT
I solved this one:

This behaviour is due to RollingFileAppender and it's base class
FileAppender not resetting certain private member variables when an
OpenFile call fails.

RollingFileAppender.OpenFile (filename, bAppend) always does a
GetNextOutputFileName(fileName) before calling the base class OpenFile.
This appends the string value of m_curSizeRollBackups to filename.

FileAppender.OpenFile (filename, bAppend) stores in private member
variables the value of the arguments filename and bAppend and then
attempts to create a LockingStream. This fails with a LockStateException
which is not handled. The correct approach would be to roll back the
values of m_fileName, m_appendToFile , m_curSizeRollBackups and
m_scheduledFilename when the OpenFile call fails. I accomplished this in
my subclass as follows:

    protected override void <MyClass>OpenFile(string fileName, bool
append)
    {
        bool oldAppend = this.AppendToFile;
        string oldFileName = this.File;

        try
        {
            base.OpenFile (fileName, append);
        }
        catch (log4net.Core.LogException ex)
        {
            LogLog.Debug ("CERollingFileAppender.OpenFile, base.OpenFile
(fileName, append) threw an exception, " + ex.Message);
            base.File = oldFileName;    // easily set by protected
property access
            base.AppendToFile = oldAppend;    // easily set by protected
property access
            base.ExistingInit ();    // no access to
m_curSizeRollBackups and m_scheduledFilename but this will do it.
        }
    }

Ideally this fix should be in the core RollingFileAppender, FileAppender
implementations with appropriate additional configuration status checks.