From "Yann Luppo" <Yann.Lu...@fox.com>
Subject RE: testing log4net
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:54:51 GMT
Figured it out. Thanks Google!

The web.config should contain this new line in ConfigSections:

<section name="log4net"
type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler,
log4net-net-1.2"/>

And then the config section below can be added in the web.config...
Everything works fine now. J

From: Yann Luppo
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:44 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: testing log4net

Hi everyone,

I'm currently testing log4net and I can't seem to be able to make the
remoting part work properly. I am using the example remoting server app
that's provided with the log4net download and I implemented the remoting
client part, mostly extracted from the remoting client example, in our
project. All that running locally.

Our project is an ASP.Net web application and the part that needs to use
log4net is one of our custom dlls for that application. For the sake of
readability let's call it the utility.dll. So I added an app.config to
the utility.dll where I copied all the xml from the config file provided
with the remoting client example app. Since my asp.net project runs
locally, I just wanted to hit the remoting server running locally also.

I did a couple changes to the remoting server config file actually, but
mostly to reformat the messages.

To make sure I wasn't waiting for buffered logs on the client side I
changed the "BufferSize" variable to 1. Here is an extract of my client
side config file:

<log4net debug="false">

            <!-- Define some output appenders -->

            <!-- Use the remoting appender -->

            <appender name="RemotingAppender"
type="log4net.Appender.RemotingAppender" >

                  <!-- The remoting URL to the remoting server object
-->

                  <sink value="tcp://localhost:8085/LoggingSink" />

                  <!-- Send all events, do not discard events when the
buffer is full -->

                  <lossy value="false" />

                  <!-- The number of events to buffer before sending -->

                  <bufferSize value="1" />

                  <!-- Do not store event data that is slow to generate
-->

                  <onlyFixPartialEventData value="true" />

                  <!-- Specify an evaluator to send the events
immediatly under

                       certain conditions, e.g. when an error event
ocurrs -->

                  <evaluator type="log4net.Core.LevelEvaluator">

                        <threshold value="INFO"/>

                  </evaluator>

            </appender>

            <!-- Setup the root category, add the appenders and set the
default priority -->

            <root>

                  <level value="DEBUG" />

                  <appender-ref ref="RemotingAppender" />

            </root>

      </log4net>

Anyway as you can imagine the reason for my email is that the logs
aren't making it to the server side... Even though they do when I just
use the remoting client example application.

Any idea on why this is not happening?

Thanks,

Yann