From "Pete Heist" <petehe...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: SmtpAppender not working on 3rd party hosting provider
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:38:55 GMT
It's narrowed down a bit. If I set:

<trust level="Medium"/>

on my development machine, the SmtpAppender fails silently, while my
RollingFileAppenders still work. Incidently, I've got my log4net.config file
in a separate file, rather than in my web.config file. This appears to be
working OK, but as I've seen a post about log4net configuration and medium
trust here:

http://blogs.advantaje.com/blog/kevin/Net/2006/06/29/log4Net-and-ASP-Net-Med
ium-Trust.html

it makes me suspicious.

thanks,
Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Heist [mailto:peteheist@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:09 PM
To: 'Log4NET User'
Subject: RE: SmtpAppender not working on 3rd party hosting provider

Hi Dean,

Yes, even if smtpHost is specified in log4net.config, it still doesn't send.
Looking at SmtpAppender.cs in log4net, if I set smtpHost, it's the same code
path except that the Host property on SmtpClient is explicitly set. Knowing
that my test page works without setting the Host property explicitly, I can
tell that SmtpClient is picking up the right host from the <mailSettings>
section in my web.config file anyway:

<mailSettings>
  <smtp>
    <network host="relay-hosting.secureserver.net" port="25"/>
  </smtp>
</mailSettings>

thanks,
Pete