From "Pete Heist" <petehe...@yahoo.com>
Subject SmtpAppender not working on 3rd party hosting provider
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:05:11 GMT
I'm trying to figure out a situation where the SmtpAppender in my ASP.NET
3.5 application works properly on my development machine, but not on GoDaddy
shared hosting.

This might be easier, except that I can't see the output when
log4net.Internal.Debug = true at GoDaddy, because we have no access to, and
cannot add a listener for the System.Diagnostics output.

Some points:

- This works on my development machine with the same log4net.config.
However, in my web.config, of course, the SMTP server information is
different for development and production.

- Other logs from my RollingFileAppender appear properly, so log4net is
working.

- I know that I can send email, because a test page coded as follows in
production works:

    {
    string sFrom = "a@b.com";
    string sTo = "c@d.com";
    string sSubject = "test email to debug log4net on GoDaddy";
    string sBody = "Why are log4net email notifications not working on
GoDaddy?";

    MailMessage message = new MailMessage(sFrom, sTo, sSubject, sBody);

    SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient();

    client.Send(message);
    }

- My appender in log4net.config looks like this:

  <!-- sends an SMTP email (application log) -->
  <appender name="ApplicationSmtpAppender"
type="log4net.Appender.SmtpAppender">
    <from value="a@b.com" />
    <to value="c@d.com" />
    <subject value="Application log" />
    <bufferSize value="50" />
    <lossy value="true" />
    <evaluator type="log4net.Core.LevelEvaluator">
      <threshold value="WARN"/>
    </evaluator>
      <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger
[%property{CurrentUser}] - %message%newline" />
    </layout>
  </appender>

Does anyone either know what this could be, or have another suggestion for
debugging it short of recompiling log4net with custom instrumenting code
that writes to a file?

thanks,
Pete