From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: logging from web service and a web page
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:01:55 GMT
Two processes cannot have an exclusive lock on a file. The minimal lock (as the name implies)
does in fact lock the file for a short period of time. A mutex is a good way to allow multiple
processes to coordinate file writes:

http://www.mail-archive.com/log4net-user@logging.apache.org/msg04116.html

A similiar locking model will most likely be included in the next release.

----- Original Message ----
From: "Pattenaude, Jerry" <Jerry.Pattenaude@RedPrairie.com>
To: Log4NET User <log4net-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 2:18:57 PM
Subject: RE: logging from web service and a web page

<!--
 _filtered {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}
 _filtered {margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{}
-->
I’ve dug into my problem a little
bit more and have some addition information.  I’m still hoping that
someone will have run into this and/or knows this to be a limitation of the
file appender.

 My web service app and my asp.net app are
separate visual studio projects.  Both projects reference log4net.dll.  When
aspnet_wp.exe loads the applications it loads log4net.dll twice into the same aspnet_wp
process, but different app domains.  It appears that even with minimal lock the
file is still locked, so it cannot be used from a different app domain in the
same process.

 Does anyone have any ideas on this?  Is it
a log4net bug?

 Thanks.