From "Dean Fiala" <dfi...@celadonlabs.com>
Subject RE: Log4Net stopping
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:38:18 GMT
OK,
Hard to tell how it is related without seeing what you are logging, but
since that is your best guess, might as well follow up in that direction.
Can you quantify "a lot of logging"?  Are you attempting to log a large
section of the file that is being uploaded?  Or some other large individual
message during the process?  That's where I'd look since it seems to be
appender indepenent.

Dean

  _____

From: Robin Shahan [mailto:Robin.Shahan@goldmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:12 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: RE: Log4Net stopping

The file is being uploaded to our servers via web services. I don't see how
it can be related (it's not a new feature), but that is the pattern we're
seeing -- logging stops for some people after they've uploaded. One thing to
note: There is a lot of logging done during the upload process.

One other thing - I remembered last night that I've seen this in one other
case. I put some logging statements in this click event in a user control
once, and it wouldn't output the statements. I ended up putting in
messageboxes to get the information I was looking for.

And the other programmer who has seen this problem said the log messages
don't show up in the Output window in Visual Studio either.

Here is our configuration file. I didn't add the logging to our application,
another programmer did, who is long gone. So I don't know a whole lot about
log4net, except how it's set up in our app (it starts first thing), where
the logs go, and how to write to the log. That, and it's worked great right
up to this moment.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<log4net>

  <appender name="ConsoleAppender" type="log4net.Appender.ConsoleAppender">

      <conversionPattern value="%date %-5level %logger (%L) [%ndc] -
%message%newline" />

    </layout>

  </appender>

  <appender name="RollingLogFileAppender"

    <file value="D:\RobinShahan\GoldMail\GoldMailLog.txt" />

    <staticLogFileName value="true" />

    <appendToFile value="true" />

    <rollingStyle value="Size" />

    <maxSizeRollBackups value="5" />

    <maximumFileSize value="1MB" />

      <conversionPattern
value="GMLog#%date;%-5level;%logger(%L);%message#End%newline" />

    </layout>

  </appender>

  <root>

    <level value="DEBUG" />

    <appender-ref ref="ConsoleAppender" />

    <appender-ref ref="RollingLogFileAppender" />

  </root>

</log4net>

Thanks,

Robin Shahan