From "Erich Eichinger" <E.Eichin...@diamonddogs.cc>
Subject RE: log4net and IIS problems
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:06:21 GMT
Honestly I didn't do it in .NET yet, but from Win32 API I remember, that there was some "OpenOrCreate"
Option for CreateMutex(). The return value of the function indicated, wheter the Mutex was
newly created or just opened. I think there is some similar option in .NET, which at least
allows for communication between the 2 processes.

Maybe an option to defer persisting LogEvents until all Appenders are ready might be a better
idea? In this case the new AppDomain would cache all LogEvents in memory until they can be
appended.

-Erich

________________________________

From: Ron Grabowski [mailto:rongrabowski@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thu 2008-02-28 00:38
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: log4net and IIS problems

Didn't quite finish my thought...I meant to say that we could add an EventLogErrorHandler
to catch edge cases like this. To address the underlying problem, someone posted some code
to the control inter-process/AppDomain locking using a Mutext. My concern is what happens
if the terminal AppDomain requests the Mutex then is forceably killed? According the Mutex
docs on MSDN an Exception will be thrown when the new AppDomains attempts to open that Mutext.