From "Andres Collao" <acol...@enaex.cl>
Subject RE: Problem with maxSizeRollBackups
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:17:21 GMT
thanks Randall

Atte.

Andrés Collao Pérez
[mailto:acollao@enaex.cl]

Ingeniero de Proyectos
Departamento de Sistemas
(56-2) 2106679

ENAEX.cl
[http://www.enaex.cl/]

  _____

	De: Price, Randall [mailto:randallp@vt.edu]
	Enviado el: Martes, 19 de Febrero de 2008 12:29
	Para: Log4NET User
	Asunto: RE: Problem with maxSizeRollBackups

	I have no problem using and rolling over log files when they reach a specific size.

	I am using VS 2005, C#, Log4Net 1.2.10.0, .NET Framework v2.0.

	The one thing I did have to research on was the maxSizeRollBackups (value = -1) and countDirection
(value = 1) attributes.  This allows for an unlimited number of rollover files the a naming
scheme that minimizes the number of files that have to be renamed during a rollover.  When
I had maxSizeRollBackups = 2, I would just end up with a maximum of 2 rollover files.  This
was generally ok until I did a stress test of my app and generated 10+ rollover files but
ended up with just the 2.

	<log4net>

	  <appender name="RollingFile" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">

	    <file               value="logs\SynchroV4.log"/>

	    <appendToFile       value="true" />

	    <maximumFileSize    value="2048KB" />

	    <maxSizeRollBackups value="-1" />

	    <countDirection     value="1" />

	    <lockingModel       type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender+MinimalLock" />

	      <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger - %message%newline" />

	    </layout>

	  </appender>

	  <root>

	    <!-- Levels (from lowest to highest):  ALL | DEBUG | INFO | WARN | ERROR | FATAL |
OFF | -->

	    <level value="INFO" />

	    <appender-ref ref="RollingFile" />

	  </root>

	</log4net>

	Hope this helps.

	Randall Price

	Secure Enterprise Technology Initiatives

	Microsoft Implementation Group

	Virginia Tech Information Technology

	1700 Pratt Drive

	Blacksburg, VA  24060