From si <sshnug...@gmail.com>
Subject Log4net and SQL Server Reporting Services
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:24:26 GMT
Greetings,

We've been having a hard time convincing log4net to work under SSRS.
If anyone has had any positive experiences or suggestions, I would
appreciate your feedback. We are implementing custom (data and
security) extensions and have done the following:

All our assemblies (including log4net.dll) in Reporting
Services\ReportServer\bin:
- Have read/execute permission for
SQLServer2005ReportingServicesWebServiceUser and
SQLServer2005ReportServerUser users.
- Are built with AllowPartiallyTrustedCallers assembly attribute set.
- Have been added with FullTrust to rssrvpolicy.config.

Reporting Services\ReportServer\web.config has
requirePermission="false" in the log4net section in configSections.

We are testing using the UDP Appender, and have other ASP.NET and
console test applications successfully logging from the same box to
Apache Chainsaw on another box. The test apps are using the same UDP
appender configuration as well as the same logging framework we
implement in our SSRS code. i.e. a LogFactory producing ILog objects
and invoking Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure() if not already
configured.

If I turn on log4net internal debugging and output to a file (as per
the FAQ), I get:

"log4net: AppenderSkeleton: Finalizing appender named [UdpAppender]."

and then after a while:

"log4net: Hierarchy: Shutdown called on Hierarchy [log4net-default-repository]"

Any help appeciated!

cheers
si
--
It's a wild world that we live in, you step to the vibe like a new
found religion, take your position, compile your vision, futurism,