From "Johnson, Cedrick" <cjohn...@lsplab.com>
Subject Addendum: Lossy Value in SMTP Appender - Possible Bug?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 01:42:56 GMT
That should have read:

"Generic. Yes, we have BufferSize set to 1, however, Development sent me
a file with lossy=FALSE. I understand how the lossy value works, but I
am a little fuzzy on this particular situation, which I will describe
below:"

My apologies for the mixup.

CJ

________________________________

From: Johnson, Cedrick [mailto:cjohnson@lsplab.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:37 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Lossy Value in SMTP Appender - Possible Bug?

Hello-

My apologies, I've been trying to figure this out for the past few
hours. We have an application that has the following log4net config:

  <root>

    <level value="INFO" />

    <appender-ref ref="RollingLogFileAppender" />

    <appender-ref ref="ConsoleAppender" />

    <appender-ref ref="SmtpAppender" />

  </root>

Pretty simple

In the SmtpAppender:

  <appender name="SmtpAppender" type="log4net.Appender.SmtpAppender">

    <to value="me" />

    <from value="someprocess" />

    <subject value="An error occured in some process" />

    <smtpHost value="ourmailserver" />

    <bufferSize value="1" />

    <lossy value="true" />

    <evaluator type="log4net.Core.LevelEvaluator">

      <threshold value="ERROR"/>

    </evaluator>

      <conversionPattern value="%date %property{MachineName}
%property{UserName} [%thread] %-5level %logger - %message %newline" />

    </layout>

Generic. Yes, we have BufferSize set to 1, however, Development sent me
a file with lossy=true. I understand how the lossy value works, but I am
a little fuzzy on this particular situation, which I will describe
below:

With Lossy set to 'false'.. I got 18,000 emails (every INFO level
message was in its own email) despite having the threshold value set to
'ERROR'.

If I set lossy to true, I get the true 'ERROR' and above emails (and
it's not 18,000)

Perhaps I'm just utterly confused, but I don't exactly see the
correlation between lossy, buffersize and LevelEvaluator. Is this a
potential bug given the situation described earlier?

Regards,

CJ