From "Ian Dykes" <ian.dy...@esendex.com>
Subject UdpAppender uses UdpClient?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:21:45 GMT
Hi,

We're looking to use the RemoteSyslogAppender from a bunch of Windows
services running on the same machine, sending log events to one server
listening to one port.  Looking through the source, RemoteSyslogAppender
inherits from UdpAppender, and UdpAppender uses a UdpClient object.  If
I try to start two applications on the same machine aiming to send log
event to the same remote sys log I get an error saying "only one usage
of socket address is normally permitted".

I've seen this exception before in my own work with sockets, and I got
around it by using a Socket instead of UdpClient, but I suspect you can
set the ExclusiveAddressUse property as well.  I can't see a way of
setting this property through the appender though.

Is there any way I can use multiple UdpAppenders/RemoteSyslogAppenders
sending to the same address/port on the same machine?

Thanks
Ian

Ian Dykes
Software Developer
Esendex Ltd

T: +44 (0)115 852 5762
F: +44 (0)115 852 5757
Email: ian.dykes@esendex.com
Web: www.esendex.com
Blog: http://devproj20.blogspot.com/

Esendex: Connect and Communicate

Confidentiality: This e-mail (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of log4net-user@logging.apache.org
and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade
secret. If you are not log4net-user@logging.apache.org you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying
to the message and then delete it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be
monitored. The views expressed in this message are those of the author Ian Dykes and do not
necessarily represent the views of Esendex Ltd.

Security: This e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free from any virus but it is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure this is so. E-mail is not a 100% secure communications
medium. We recommend you observe this when e-mailing us.

Esendex Ltd is a limited company registered in the UK, with company number 04217280 and having
its registered office at 32a Stoney Street . Nottingham . NG1 1LL . United Kingdom.

[v1.1 EN]