From Dominick Cosgrove <Dominick.Cosgr...@gartmore.com>
Subject Using XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch to watch for Config changes
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:53:26 GMT
I have a ASP .Net 1.1 app which I am using log4net ver 1.2.10.0 with.

I am trying to use the log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(new System.IO.FileInfo(logfile));
method in the Application_Start Method of the Global.asax.cs, but get the following error:
Method not found: Void log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(System.IO.FileInfo).
Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated
in the code.

Exception Details: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: Void log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(System.IO.FileInfo).

Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information
regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack
trace below.

Stack Trace:

[MissingMethodException: Method not found: Void log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(System.IO.FileInfo).]
   Scratch.Global.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0

If I use the log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure(new System.IO.FileInfo(logfile)); everything
works fine.

I have also tried using the [assembly:log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFile="Log4Net.config",
Watch=true)] attrribute in the AssemblyInfo.cs. This does not seem to load the configuration
as log.IsDebugEnabled evaluates to false when I use this method of loading the configuration
file.

I would ideally like to get the configuration file watched so that if we need to enable logging
we do not need to restart the application.

Many thanks in advance

Dominick

To view our disclaimer see http://epolicy.gartmore.com

Gartmore Investment Management Limited (GIM), Gartmore Investment Limited (GIL) and Gartmore
Fund Managers Limited (GFM) are all registered in England and Wales (nos 953703, 1508030 and
1137353). The registered address of GIM, GIL and GFM is Gartmore House, 8 Fenchurch Place,
London, EC3M 4PB. Gartmore Global Partners (GGP) is a general partnership registered in Delaware,
USA, EIN 56-1903611. The registered office of GGP is One International Place, Fort Hill Square,
Boston, Massachusetts 02110, USA.   GIL, GFM and GGP are authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority under the references 119236 (GIL), 122610 (GFM) and 172616 (GGP). See www.fsa.gov.uk/register
for more details. GGP is also a SEC registered investment advisor.