From "Krishna, Kundan" <kundan.kris...@stryker.com>
Subject RE: Intra-day log space management
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 10:14:30 GMT
Hi all,

    I had to incorporate log creation functionality to my new Server
application which I am building on .Net framework. I have downloaded the
source code from the link provided at following
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/downloads.html but enable to run the
sample examples which are there. I am getting errors while building the
application.

   Can any one help me running the examples successfully so that I can
implement the same for my new application?

Thanks in Advance,

Kundan

________________________________

From: Simon E. Devlin [mailto:simon.devlin@7layerforensics.com]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 2:09 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Intra-day log space management

Hi all,

Hopefully someone will have some helpful advice for me.  I'm looking for
options for managing log space requirements predominently on an
intra-day basis (within the same 24hr period).

One of the qestions I'm being asked about an app I've written is what
the log space requirements are which is a difficult question to answer.
Normally, they're pretty small but on one occasion recently over 5GB in
one day were written (all of which was valid - at least by our
definition, if not actually useful!)

The logs themselves aren't really critical in that the all messages are
also stored delivered centrally and these are viewed more as a 'backup'
than anything else.  Space management is probably more important here.

Before I start playing with variations on the rolling features (above
and beyond simple date based rolling), what have other people done where
aggresive space management is required?  Rolling by the hour might be
acceptable, as would compression after roll.  Ideally I'd like to be
able to say "Never use more than X space and truncate, prune, delete
whatever as appripriate" but I'm guessing that's easier said that done.

All ideas appreciated.

Simon