From "Vanderkolk, John" <John.Vanderk...@compuware.com>
Subject RE: Disable/enable appender for all loggers
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:15:47 GMT
That's because of how log4net configures itself. When the repository finds a reference to a
file appender in a logger that it is creating, it will automatically ask its LockingModel
to create that file.  Even if your program has no intent on writing to that file log4net will
still create it as soon as it knows that you might write to it. I managed to find two ways
to accomplish what you want.

1.

Create a new locking model and use that as your locking model:

public class MyLock : log4net.Appender.FileAppender.MinimalLock

{

      public override Stream AcquireLock()

      {

            if (CurrentAppender.Threshold == log4net.Core.Level.Off)

                  return null;

            return base.AcquireLock();

      }

}

Now in the config file, set the threshold to start out as: <threshold value="OFF" />
and make sure you set this new LockingModel as you model: <lockingModel type="Namespace.MyLock"
/>. Now when your locking model is called to create the file, if the threshold is set to
OFF, it will refuse. This will cause an internal exception (no way around it) but I see no
reason to believe this is an invalid method.

2.

If in the config file you specify an empty string as the file name (<file value=""/>),
when log4net configures itself with that appender it will throw an exception to itself and
give up on creating any file for that appender, but importantly, it WILL create the appender
anyway.  So if you do that then the first time that you want to log to it you can specify
a file like this:

public void directAppenderToFile(string appender, string path)

{

      log4net.Appender.IAppender[] appenders = log4net.LogManager.GetRepository().GetAppenders();

      for (int i = 0; i < appenders.Length; ++i)

      {

            log4net.Appender.FileAppender curAppender = appenders[i] as log4net.Appender.FileAppender;

            if (curAppender != null && curAppender.Name == appender)

            {

                  curAppender.File = path;

                  curAppender.ActivateOptions();

            }

      }

}

I personally prefer the first method, but it's up to you to decide which one works best for
you.

Happy Logging,

John VanderKolk