From "James Wilkinson" <jwe...@gmail.com>
Subject plugins
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:13:45 GMT
I've written a forwarding appender that filters out sequential duplicate
events. It's designed to be inserted in the chain before an SmtpAppender to
prevent mail recipients being flooded with many identical mails. When the
stream of dupes is over, the appender inserts a 'summary event' that
describes how many duplicates were filtered out.

During development, I copied and renamed ForwardingAppender.cs, added the
new file to the log4net project and implemented the functionality I needed.
Now that it's basically working, I am wondering if I can migrate it to use
the plugin architecture of log4net. I'm imagining my main application using
the vanilla 1.2.10 log4net assembly plus an assembly containing my plugin.

I've found there to be little to go on really though regarding the intended
use of plugins and examples - this being the only thread in the list history
that seemed relevant...
http://www.mail-archive.com/log4net-user@logging.apache.org/msg02192.html
I wonder, having now read that and after looking at the included
RemoteLoggingServerPlugin, whether plugins are acutally what I think they
are.

If anyone can give any input on any my musings above, then I'd be most
grateful.

James