From "Vanderkolk, John" <John.Vanderk...@compuware.com>
Subject RE: ConfigureAndWatch for a web app ...
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:41:47 GMT
Try using AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory. If that doesn't work
you can always specify "ups" in a relative path. For example, if you
discover your execution context is "...../WebService/MyApp/MyPage"
(online or running on your local directories) and the config file you
want is in ".../WebService" then the relative path would be
"..\\..\\web.config" The "..\" signifies one level up.

John VanderKolk

________________________________

From: Parrish, Ken [mailto:KParrish@gomez.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 3:56 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: ConfigureAndWatch for a web app ...

I am attempting to use the method XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch for
a web service application.  In the Application_Start method in
Global.asax, I have change from:

XmlConfiguration.Configure();

XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch("web.config");

However, log4net appears not to configure properly.  I suspect that
log4net cannot find 'web.config' since the current directory for the
executing application context is not the root directory of my web site.

How can I indicate to log4net where 'web.config' is located without
having to specify an absolute path?  Is there a way in Global.asax to
'fetch' the root directory of my web application so that I can supply it
to the ConfigureAndWatch method?

Thank you,

Ken Parrish

Bedford, MA