From <ni...@apache.org>
Subject RE: 3rd party assembly logging configuration
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 12:05:16 GMT
The log4net internal debugging can be enabled by setting an <appSetting>
in the application's config file:

<appSettings>
  <add key="log4net.Internal.Debug" value="true"/>
</appSettings>

This must go into the applications .config file (or if it is a web app
then the Web.config file).

Setting the XmlConfigurator attribute on your assembly should cause it
to load its configuration separately from the main application.

There is an example application that is included in the log4net download
that shows this behaviour.

examples\net\1.0\Repository

This is made up of 3 assemblies.

SharedModule - this is an ordinary DLL, it uses logging, but does not
configure it.
SimpleApp - this is an EXE, it configures and uses logging.
SimpleModule - this is a DLL, that setups its own repository and
configures it.

To see the RepositoryAttribute and XmlConfiguratorAttribute have a look
at this example source file:

examples\net\1.0\Repository\SimpleModule\cs\src\Math.cs

Cheers,
Nicko
Nicko Cadell
log4net development