From "Price, Randall" <randa...@vt.edu>
Subject RE: FileAppender+MinimalLock not working as expected - FIXED!!
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 19:37:54 GMT
Marc,

Thanks for your response but I could not read the log file when I
removed the MinimalLock entry from the config file and tried using the
File.OpenRead() statement you recommended.

But it was worth a shot...

Randall Price

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Lewandowski [mailto:marc@telebill.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 12:37 PM
To: 'Log4NET User'
Subject: RE: FileAppender+MinimalLock not working as expected - FIXED!!

I don't think the problem was really the MinimalLock at all
(ultimately).
For instance, I can view a log file in Notepad, and it will continue to
be
updated, without using MinimalLock (confirm this for yourself).

The problem is how you are opening the file.  I believe the StreamReader
constructor attempts to gain exclusivity on the file by default (from MS
docs for File.OpenText(): "This method is equivalent to StreamReader(
string
)").  Try:

StreamReader sr = new StreamReader( File.OpenRead( strFileName ) );

instead, even without the MinimalLock.  Let us know how you make out.

-Marc